Everton Lock-Up, sometimes referenced by one of its nicknames such as Prince Rupert's Tower or Prince Rupert's Castle is a lock-up located on Everton Brow in Everton, Liverpool. The 18th-century structure is one of two Georgian lock-ups that still survive in Liverpool; the other is in Wavertree. It is famous for being the centre-piece of the crest of Everton F.C. The Grade II-listed building, which was opened in 1787, was originally an overnight holding place where local drunks and criminals were taken by parish constables. Prisoners would then be brought before local Justices of the Peace for trial. Punishments would usually be similar to community service such as clearing ditches, unblocking drains or removing rubbish.
The Friends of Everton Park settled on a plan to permanently light up the Lock-Up, with Everton FC agreeing to pay £5,000 towards the £11,000 cost of the project. The Lock Up has been permanently illuminated since February 2014.
Image dimensions: 6000 x 3985 pixels