Victoria Gallery and Museum
Opened in May 2008 by HRH The Princess Royal this Grade II listed building had been carefully renovated and transformed into a public venue for all to enjoy.
Designed by Alfred Waterhouse it has been a central part of University life for over a century. The history behind the building is just as interesting as the treasures it contains. Ordinary bricks and terracotta dressings were selected for the Gothic exterior, which led to the coining of the phrase ‘red brick university’ by Bruce Truscot.
The interior was finished to a similarly high standard. The entrance hall was elaborately decorated with faience of terracotta, turquoise and buff glazed tiles, while corridors were lined with glazed ivory and brown bricks, divided into bays by arches. Additions such as electric lighting were ahead of their time for buildings of that period.
Completed in 1892, costing £53,000 – slightly more than estimated – the building combined architectural drama with practicality.
Delays in construction resulted in the cancellation of an opening by the Prince of Wales in June 1892, but it was finally officially opened on 13 December 1892 by the Chancellor of the federal Victoria University, Lord Spencer.
Image dimensions: 6000 x 4000 pixels